When Nike pulled out of its two-year pilot program citing the inability to grow its brand on Amazon, it set the stage for the e-commerce giant to address the sellers’ need to build strong relationships with their customers as a brand. And address they did.
In September 2017, Amazon announced a new program called Amazon Posts, which allows brands to create beautiful, highly visual posts that live on their product detail pages and can be shared across social media.
Since then, Amazon Posts have become an essential tool for brands selling on Amazon to reach their customers and grow their business. Here’s everything you need to know to succeed with Amazon Posts.
What Are Amazon Posts?
Amazon Posts are visual posts that brands can create to showcase their products on Amazon product detail pages.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Each Post can be up to 940 pixels wide and include multiple images, videos, and text. Posts can be shared across social media, and customers can like, comment, and share them just like any other post, essentially making this an Instagram solely for Amazon users.
Shoppers can encounter your Amazon Posts in 4 key areas:
- Product detail pages
- Category-based feeds
- Related product feeds
- Brand Feed
Is Posting on Amazon Free?
Yes! Unlike other paid Amazon advertising options, there is no charge to create or promote your posts.
Who Can Create Amazon Posts?
Any brand that sells on Amazon USA and is enrolled in the Amazon Brand Registry can create an Amazon Post.
Why Should I Participate in Amazon Posts?
The way customers discover and buy products is changing. A Facebook-commissioned study of Instagram users found that 54% of users made a purchase right after seeing a product on Instagram, with 66% stating that they use the platform to engage with brands directly.
It is no surprise, considering how attractive, relatable lifestyle images on social media make it easier for people to identify with the content, as opposed to plain product images required for marketplaces. Amazon Posts help you achieve that—beautiful images that evoke the look and feel of social media platforms, thus allowing shoppers to view the products in a much more engaging light.
Here are some of the key benefits of using Amazon Posts:
Increases brand awareness
An Amazon study showed that using Posts helped increase brand awareness by up to 26%. By showing off their unique content, brands can grab the attention of potential customers who might not have known about them before.
Helps improve conversion rates
Another study showed that Amazon Posts helped improve conversion rates by up to 5%. This is likely due to the increased brand awareness and engagement that Posts generates.
Generates more traffic to your product pages
Posts can also help generate more traffic to your product pages. The same Amazon study showed that Posts led to a 15% increase in clicks to product pages. Traffic from Amazon Posts is valuable because it’s highly relevant—these shoppers are already interested in what you’re selling.
Improves product discoverability
Amazon Posts can improve product discoverability by a significant margin. Customers who see your products in their feeds are more likely to remember them when searching for something specific. This is especially valuable for new products that might not be ranking well in search yet.
Let’s shoppers follow your brand
Customers can follow your brand on Amazon Posts, which means they’ll see your posts in their feed even if they don’t follow you on social media. This is a great way to reach new customers who might not be familiar with your brand yet.
Provides performance analytics
As with any other advertising tool, Amazon Posts come with performance analytics. You can see how many customers have seen your Post, clicked on it, and bought a product afterward. This data is valuable for understanding what kind of content performs well and helps you adjust your strategy accordingly.
Is completely FREE to use
Yes, you read that right. Amazon Posts is a free tool that you can use to promote your products and grow your brand on Amazon. All you need is an Amazon seller account to get started.
How Can I Start Using Amazon Posts?
The process to sign up is pretty straightforward. Just follow these steps:
- Head to your Seller Central Account and login
- Click on User Permissions
- Click on “Enable” under Posts to enable this feature
The next step would be for you to create a Brand Profile for your Posts. The steps are:
- Sign into Posts using your SellerCentral login credentials
- Build your brand profile
- Verify your brand
- Upload your logo
Now that you have a brand profile, you can start creating your first Post!
What Makes a Good Amazon Post
Before we begin with how to start posting on Amazon, let’s start by learning what constitutes your average Post.
Each Amazon Post has the following elements:
- Cover image: The first thing that everybody notices.
- Header: Showcasing the brand logo and name.
- Caption: A text caption with a maximum of 2,200 characters.
- Hashtags: Up to 5 hashtags to help improve the Post’s discoverability.
- CTA: A call-to-action that can link to an Amazon product page or an external website.
Types of Amazon Posts
Now that we’ve got a general understanding of what goes into an Amazon Post, let’s look at the different types of content you can create.
- Product Posts: These are designed to showcase a particular product in use. Make sure to include relevant hashtags, as well as a link to the product page.
- Social Proof Posts: Lukewarm opinions about your products will not help you sell them. That’s where social proof posts come in. These types of posts show your current customers using and enjoying your products. This can be in the form of a review, photo, or video testimonial.
- How-To Guides: How-to posts are what they claim to be. These posts walk the viewer through a particular process, like how to make a certain dish or style their hair. Again, include relevant hashtags and a link to a product page or an external website.
- Inspirational Posts: Sometimes called “lifestyle posts,” these are designed to display your products in an aspirational way. This could be a photo of someone using your product in an interesting location or doing something fun or exciting.
- Product Highlights: These posts are all about showing off your products and what makes them unique. This is an excellent opportunity to use rich media like photos and videos to show off your product in all its glory!
- Social Media Reposts: We all know that social media is a powerful tool for marketing your brand. And one great way to take advantage of that is to repost content from your social media accounts onto your Amazon Posts. This is a great way to drive traffic to your posts and get more eyes on your products.
- Announcement Posts: One way is to use them to announce new products or sales, and this is great to generate excitement and get people talking about your brand.
How to Create an Amazon Post
Creating an Amazon Post is easy! Just log in to your Amazon account and click on the “Posts” tab. You can create a new post by clicking on the “Create Post” button.
Just fill out your caption, upload your image, add your product ASIN, and you’re all set!
Amazon Posts: Best Practises
Wondering how you can make the most out of Amazon Posts? Check out some of our best practices below:
Just like working on any social media platform, there are a few best practices you should keep in mind when creating Amazon Posts:
- Keep your posts short and sweet. People have short attention spans, so make sure your message is clear and concise.
- Use high-quality images. Remember, a picture is worth a thousand words!
- Be creative with your content. Think about what makes your product unique and focus on that.
- Use calls to action. Tell your customers what you want them to do (visit your website or make a purchase).
- Post multiple times a day. As it’s still in Beta mode, there are no set rules for succeeding with Posts. Keep at it, and you’ll discover what works for your brand and niche.
- Explore different aspect ratios. With Amazon Posts, you can use images in 1:1, 16:9, and 4:3 ratio. Switch them up to gauge your audience’s reaction to understand what clicks.
BONUS TIP: Check out your competitors’ Amazon Posts to see what they’re doing and get some inspiration for your content. Just remember to put your own spin on things, so you don’t come across as a copycat.
By following these simple best practices, you’ll be well on your way to creating successful Amazon Posts that will help grow your brand in 2022!
Where can I see my Amazon Posts?
Currently, Amazon Posts are only visible on a mobile device in the Amazon App. Here are the four different places where you can see them:
Detail Page Carousel: This carousel is listed on every brand listing page with enabled Posts. It’s placed above the Questions section and shows up to 10 related Amazon Posts.
Brand Feeds: A vertically scrollable section showcasing a brand’s posts. You can find it by clicking on the brand name of any Post on the Details Page Carousel.
Category Feeds: By clicking on the category of a post, either from the Brand Feed or the Related Feed, it takes you to all related posts (products belonging to the same category).
Related Feeds: When you click on the image or the “See More” section of a post on the Detail Page Carousel, you’ll see all the post details along with all related posts (by various brands) in a vertical-scroll mode.
The best part? Unlike other social media platforms, Amazon makes it easy for your audience to buy a product directly from the Post. Each Post is equipt with a “Show Products” link that gives you a summary of the product and its star rating. By clicking on these details, you’re directed to the product details page and can easily buy the product.
Tracking Your Amazon Post’s Performance Analytics
Given that Posts is still in the beta stage, the analytics dashboard leaves much to be desired. However, it is still solid information that you can use to optimize your campaigns in the future. For now, here is what you can track:
- Date of Creation
- Post Status
- Caption Preview
- ASIN #
- Engagement (Just changed from Clicks)
Amazon Posts is still in its early days, but the platform has great potential. You can increase brand awareness and drive traffic to your product pages in a completely new way. And as the platform develops, we expect the features and analytics to improve. So an early start right now may pay massive dividends in the future.
About the author
Entrepreneur and businessman Norman “The Beard Guy” Farrar stands at the forefront of the economic mega-machine known as Amazon Marketplace. As a leading expert with over 25 years of product sourcing, development, and branding expertise, Norm is an advisor to many and an inspiration to all.
As a creative innovator and brand strategist, Norm is highly adept at corporate transformation, business strategy, and driving brand growth. He is a decisive, results-focused leader who develops innovative approaches to balancing cost vs. return, generating organic site traffic, and customer loyalty for companies at various stages of growth.